Mon-Fri 9am-6pm
    020 7237 3388
    (UK Local Number, 1p per min)
    ICS Legal, Suite 11, City Business Centre,
    Lower Road, London SE16 2XB

Switching Into Tier 2 General

Switching Into Tier 2 General

If you are already in the UK under a visa category which allows you to switch your immigration status to Tier 2 General, you can make an application for stay as Tier 2 General Migrant from inside the UK. You must meet all the relevant requirements including any conditions with regards to switching from your current visa status to the Tier 2 General category. An unrestricted Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) must be issued by your prospective employer for you to apply for Tier 2 General leave from inside the UK. For more general information about Tier 2 General category.

Who Can Switch Into Tier 2 General Category From Inside The UK?

You can apply from inside the UK if you have, or were last granted, leave in one of the categories listed below:

  • Any Tier 1 category;

  • Tier 2 (General);

  • Tier 2 (Intra-Company Transfer: Established Staff) if you are applying to change sponsor;

  • Tier 2 (Intra-Company Transfer), under the rules in place before 6 April 2010 if you are applying to change sponsor;

  • Tier 2 (Sportsperson);

  • Tier 2 (Minister of Religion);

  • Tier 4 (General) student3;

  • Tier 5 (Temporary Worker) in the Creative and Sporting sub-category, for a job as a professional footballer switching into Tier 2 (Sportsperson)only;

  • Dependant partner of a Tier 4 student;

  • Highly Skilled Migrant Programme;

  • Innovator;

  • Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland Scheme;

  • International Graduates Scheme (or its predecessor the Science and Engineering Graduate Scheme);

  • Business and Commercial work permits (except multiple entry work permits) including Intra-Company Transfer work permits;

  • Sports and Entertainment work permits (except multiple entry work permits);

  • Jewish Agency Employee;

  • Member of the Operational Ground Staff of an Overseas-owned Airline;

  • Minister of Religion, Missionary or Member of a Religious Order;

  • Overseas Qualified Nurse or Midwife;

  • Person Writing Up a Thesis;

  • Postgraduate Doctor or Dentist;

  • Representative of an Overseas Business;

  • Representative of an Overseas Newspaper, News Agency or Broadcasting Organisation;

  • Student;

  • Student Nurse;

  • Student Re-Sitting an Examination;

  • Student Union Sabbatical Officer.

Switching From Tier 4 General Student To Tier 2 General

If you are switching from Tier 4 General Student category to Tier 2 General, you can only switch into Tier 2 General if you meet the following criteria:

  • you must have successfully completed and passed a UK recognised bachelor’s or master’s degree, Postgraduate Certificate in Education or Professional Graduate Diploma of Education or have completed a minimum of 12 months study in the UK towards a UK PhD during your current period of leave or a period of continuous leave which includes your last grant of leave; and

  • you studied for the eligible award at a UK institution that is the UK recognised or listed body, or an education provider which holds a licence for sponsoring students under Tier 4 of the Points-Based system; and

  • you are applying from inside the UK.

The Tier 2 sponsor is exempt from meeting the Resident Labour Market Test (RLMT) if the applicant meets the above-referred switching criteria. The employer needs to issue an unrestricted Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) which the applicant will use to make an application for Tier 2 General. The applicant's job and salary level should comply with the requirements of the Code of Practice.

Switching From Tier 1 PSW To Tier 2 General

A person who is in the UK on Tier 1 Post Study Work (PSW) visa can switch into Tier Tier 2 General from inside the UK. The employer needs to issue an unrestricted Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) which the applicant will use to make an application for Tier 2 General. The applicant's job and salary level should comply with the requirements of the Code of Practice.

Same Day Visa Service For Tier 2 General

We provide Same Day Visa Service (also known as the Home Office Premium Service) for applications for switching into Tier 2 General Migrant visa from inside the UK. 

We can submit your Tier 2 General application through our Same Day Visa Service and can get a decision on your application within 24 hours. Tier 2 General is a Biometric category and the Tier 2 General applicant and his/her dependents are required to attend the Home Office, UKBA to enrol their biometrics. You will be accompanied by our Legal Representative who will assist you with an enrollment of biometrics and submission of your Tier 2 General application. Tier 2 General application submitted through our Same Day Visa Service is usually decided the same day.

To apply under any of these categories, they would need to meet the guidance set out. This arrangement is not under the Immigration Rules.

Call us today on 0207 237 3388 and discuss your case with one of our legal advisors. Alternatively, e-mail us your query to info@icslegal.com.

Recommended Pages

ICS Legal : UK Immigration Advice | UK Visas | Partners & Marriage Visas | Tier 1 Start-up, Tier 1 Innovator & Tier 1 Investor Visas | British Citizenship. ICS Legal is part of ICS Legal Immigration Specialists Ltd. The content and the source codes contained in this page and subsequent pages of www.icslegal.com are the property of ICS Legal Immigration Specialists Ltd. Company Reg Company No. 08703375. Company Registered in England & Wales. By logging into the site, you have accepted our terms and conditions and must abide accordingly. Unauthorised reproduction and copying is strictly prohibited. Selective contents of the website have been re-produced in accordance to Office of Public Sector Information (OPSI). ICS Legal Immigration Specialists Ltd holds PSI Licence and licence number is C2009002244. Parliamentary Licence number is P2009000241. 

The content on our site is provided for general information only. It is not intended to amount to advice on which you should rely. You must obtain professional or specialist advice before taking, or refraining from, any action on the basis of the content on our site. Although we make reasonable efforts to update the information on our site, we make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that the content on our site is accurate, complete or up-to-date. We do not guarantee that our site, or any content on it, will always be available or be uninterrupted. Access to our site is permitted on a temporary basis. We may suspend, withdraw, discontinue or change all or any part of our site without notice. We will not be liable to you if for any reason our site is unavailable at any time or for any period. You are responsible for making all arrangements necessary for you to have access to our site. You are also responsible for ensuring that all persons who access our site through your Internet connection are aware of these terms, and that they comply with them.

Stay in touch

Subscribe to receive our latest immigration alerts