Mon-Fri 9am-6pm
    020 7237 3388
    (UK Local Number, 1p per min)
    ICS Legal, Suite 11, City Business Centre,
    Lower Road, London SE16 2XB

Change your name by deed poll

Change your name by deed poll

You don’t have to follow a legal process to start using a new name. But you might need a ‘deed poll’ to apply for or to change official documents like your passport or driving licence. There are different rules for changing your name in Scotland.

Get a deed poll

  1. A deed poll is a legal document that proves a change of name. You can change any part, add or remove names and hyphens, or change the spelling.

  2. It doesn’t cost anything to make your own deed poll. Specialist agencies and solicitors may charge a fee to do it for you.

  3. You must be 18 or over to make a deed poll.

  4. There are extra rules about changing a child’s name.

Marriage and civil partnership
You don’t need a deed poll to take your partner’s surname. Send a copy of your marriage or civil partnership certificate to record-holders, eg benefits offices. Your documents will be updated for free.

If you divorce or end your civil partnership

You may be able to go back to your original name by showing record-holders either your:

  1. marriage certificate and decree absolute;

  2. civil partnership certificate and final order;

  3. Some organisations won’t change your name back without a deed poll.

Make an adult deed poll
You’ll need to do one of the following:

  1. use the official forms - do this if you want the name put on the official register (sometimes called being ‘enrolled’);

  2. make your own deed poll;

  3. use a specialist agency or a solicitor.

There are different rules if you want to change a child’s name.

Make your own deed poll
If you don’t want to register your deed poll, you can make your own instead. Speak to ICS Legal, as we can offer a deed poll template for a small fee, by calling us on 0207 237 3388. 

Change a child’s name
To change the name of a child aged under 18 (sometimes called a ‘minor’) you’ll need either:

  1. the agreement of everyone with parental responsibility;

  2. a court order.

You must try to reach an agreement before you seek a court order.


Recommended Pages

ICS Legal : UK Immigration Advice | UK Visas | Partners & Marriage Visas | Tier 1 Start-up, Tier 1 Innovator & Tier 1 Investor Visas | British Citizenship. ICS Legal is part of ICS Legal Immigration Specialists Ltd. The content and the source codes contained in this page and subsequent pages of www.icslegal.com are the property of ICS Legal Immigration Specialists Ltd. Company Reg Company No. 08703375. Company Registered in England & Wales. By logging into the site, you have accepted our terms and conditions and must abide accordingly. Unauthorised reproduction and copying is strictly prohibited. Selective contents of the website have been re-produced in accordance to Office of Public Sector Information (OPSI). ICS Legal Immigration Specialists Ltd holds PSI Licence and licence number is C2009002244. Parliamentary Licence number is P2009000241. 

The content on our site is provided for general information only. It is not intended to amount to advice on which you should rely. You must obtain professional or specialist advice before taking, or refraining from, any action on the basis of the content on our site. Although we make reasonable efforts to update the information on our site, we make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that the content on our site is accurate, complete or up-to-date. We do not guarantee that our site, or any content on it, will always be available or be uninterrupted. Access to our site is permitted on a temporary basis. We may suspend, withdraw, discontinue or change all or any part of our site without notice. We will not be liable to you if for any reason our site is unavailable at any time or for any period. You are responsible for making all arrangements necessary for you to have access to our site. You are also responsible for ensuring that all persons who access our site through your Internet connection are aware of these terms, and that they comply with them.

Stay in touch

Subscribe to receive our latest immigration alerts