Mon-Fri 9am-6pm
    020 7237 3388
    (UK Local Number, 1p per min)
    ICS Legal, Suite 11, City Business Centre,
    Lower Road, London SE16 2XB

Partners and Families Visa

UK Family Visas

As Immigration Laws are evolving, the requirements to bring family members to the UK will continue to change and the specified evidence to meet the strict policies are also changing. 

In short, a UK partner visa enables your husband, wife, or civil partner to apply for leave to enter or leave to remain in the UK on the basis that they are married to a person who is present and settled in the UK. The term is being used both in Immigration Laws and European Laws. A person can hold ILR, Permanent Residency, Settled Status or British nationality to be termed as a person "present and settled" in the UK.  

In summary, a person who is granted a UK partner visa is able to live in the UK for 30 months and a biometric residency card is issued. Prior to completing the 30 months visa, an extension is then applied and completion of the 5 years or 60 months allows a person to apply for indefinite leave to remain or settled status following the changes. This will allow a person to live here indefinitely and allow them to a route to become a British national. Depending on your circumstances at the time of applying for British Nationality, the applicable British Nationality Law will apply. 

Those intending to marry in the UK, so the visa category "fiancé visa" is another useful read and further details can be found by clicking here. It is vital to understand the conditions of the visas attached, as this fiancé visa category does not permit employment in the UK unless a switch is made to the correct visa route. 

Those not considering the marriage route should be able to consider the criteria of the un-married partner route, which considers that a couple living together 2 years continuously prior to the date of application are able to apply under the Partner route. The grant of leave to enter or remain is similar. 

In reference to children, those who are under the ages of 18 years and the sponsoring parents are here in the UK, would be entitled to apply for the visa to join them or if the sponsoring parents are applying to settle, an application for a child could also be applied for in the UK. 

Please remember all of the pages on our website including under this section are provided with no legal warranty and are to be used as general information and do not substitute legal advice. Call ICS Legal on 0207 237 3388 or complete our contact form by clicking here

ICS Legal : UK Immigration Advice | UK Visas | Partners & Marriage Visas | Tier 1 Start-up, Tier 1 Innovator & Tier 1 Investor Visas | British Citizenship. ICS Legal is part of ICS Legal Immigration Specialists Ltd. The content and the source codes contained in this page and subsequent pages of www.icslegal.com are the property of ICS Legal Immigration Specialists Ltd. Company Reg Company No. 08703375. Company Registered in England & Wales. By logging into the site, you have accepted our terms and conditions and must abide accordingly. Unauthorised reproduction and copying is strictly prohibited. Selective contents of the website have been re-produced in accordance to Office of Public Sector Information (OPSI). ICS Legal Immigration Specialists Ltd holds PSI Licence and licence number is C2009002244. Parliamentary Licence number is P2009000241. 

The content on our site is provided for general information only. It is not intended to amount to advice on which you should rely. You must obtain professional or specialist advice before taking, or refraining from, any action on the basis of the content on our site. Although we make reasonable efforts to update the information on our site, we make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that the content on our site is accurate, complete or up-to-date. We do not guarantee that our site, or any content on it, will always be available or be uninterrupted. Access to our site is permitted on a temporary basis. We may suspend, withdraw, discontinue or change all or any part of our site without notice. We will not be liable to you if for any reason our site is unavailable at any time or for any period. You are responsible for making all arrangements necessary for you to have access to our site. You are also responsible for ensuring that all persons who access our site through your Internet connection are aware of these terms, and that they comply with them.

Stay in touch

Subscribe to receive our latest immigration alerts