Mon-Fri 9am-6pm
    020 7237 3388
    (UK Local Number, 1p per min)
    ICS Legal, Suite 11, City Business Centre,
    Lower Road, London SE16 2XB

Free Movement Rights: derivative rights of residence

Derivative Residence | European Citizens | EEA Nationals & Family Members 

The Derivative Residence allows non-EEA family members to remain in the UK. A ‘person with a derivative right to reside’ can apply for settled status (indefinite leave to enter or remain in the UK) or pre-settled status (limited leave to enter or remain in the UK) under the Immigration Rules, enabled by the Immigration Act 1971. 

‘Derivative rights’ are derived from wider EU law rather than from the Free Movement Directive 2004/38/EC and have been confirmed by CJEU judgments.

The Settlement Scheme separates the grounds of the application when made on the derivative rights of residency. As confirmation of a derivative right of residence, a person can apply for a derivative residence status which will be granted on the pre-settled status route if you have not completed 5 years residency or settled status, if you have completed the periods of residency in the UK. 

Types of derivative rights of residence 

A person may qualify for a derivative right of residence in one of the following categories:

  1. Zambrano cases.

  2. Chen cases.

  3. Ibrahim and Teixeira cases.

So let’s look at those categories in brief:

Zambrano cases

The primary carer of a British citizen child or dependent adult, where requiring the primary carer to leave the UK would the force that British citizen to leave the European Economic Area (EEA).

Chen cases 

The primary carer of an EEA national child who is exercising free movement rights in the UK as a self-sufficient person, where requiring the primary carer to leave the UK would prevent the EEA national child exercising those free movement rights.

Ibrahim and Teixeira cases

The child of an EEA national worker or former worker where that child is in education in the UK. The primary carer of a child of an EEA national worker or former worker where that child is in education in the UK, and where requiring the primary carer to leave the UK would prevent the child from continuing their education in the UK.

Dependent child aged under 18 of a primary career in one of the categories set out above

The dependent child of a primary carer where requiring that child to leave the UK would force the primary carer to leave the UK with them. A person who is claiming a derivative right of residence in a category above must meet the relevant conditions set out in the Immigration Rules.  

Applying for derivative residency

To apply under the derivative rights of residency, you must follow the correct application process, submit the proof of residency and submit the biometrics information. You can apply for limited leave to enter/remain or indefinite leave to enter/remain in the UK, depending on how long you have lived in the UK.

As part of the immigration application, you must demonstrate that you are a person with a derivative right to reside in the UK. Evidences would need to be submitted as part of your application for leave to remain or indefinite leave. 

In order to evidence that you meet the eligibility requirements of Part 1 of Appendix EU as a ‘person with a derivative right to reside’, you must submit documents as specified by the immigration rules, and demonstrate how you meet the requirements of the Immigration Rules. 

Applying for indefinite leave to enter or remain

You will be able to apply for indefinite leave to enter or remain under the derivative residency. As part of the application, you will need to have completed 5 years continuous residency, have limited absences from the UK and satisfy the requirements of being a qualified person throughout the periods of residency in the UK. 

Refusal of a derivative residence

If your application for derivative is refused, you will be able to appeal against the decision. You will have 14 days to lodge an appeal against the decision and the Home Office will reconsider their decision. The matter could be listed at the First Tier Tribunal. 

When challenging against the refusal, you will be asked to complete the claim form, submit the legal grounds and evidences. 

We recommend that you take some legal advice at first, to see whether the decision was reached correctly or not. You can email us a copy of the decision letter to info@icslegal.com

As part of our process, we will advise whether you should appeal the decision or re-apply for the derivative residence application. We will explain our reasons on why you should either appeal or submit a new application. 

Legal advice for the derivative application

Our UK Immigration Lawyers will provide you with the very best advice and most importantly putting your best interest at first. 

Our commitment to you is:

  1. Provide clear, straightforward legal advice in a language you understand.

  2. A highly professional personal service.

  3. A friendly, caring and approachable team of UK Immigration Lawyers. 

  4. Transparent costs with no hidden surprises.

It’s not that we think differently. It’s that we are different given our time in this industry. You can speak to one of our UK Immigration Lawyers on 0207 237 3388 or you can email us at info@icslegal.com

ICS Legal : UK Immigration Advice | UK Visas | Partners & Marriage Visas | Tier 1 Start-up, Tier 1 Innovator & Tier 1 Investor Visas | British Citizenship. ICS Legal is part of ICS Legal Immigration Specialists Ltd. The content and the source codes contained in this page and subsequent pages of www.icslegal.com are the property of ICS Legal Immigration Specialists Ltd. Company Reg Company No. 08703375. Company Registered in England & Wales. By logging into the site, you have accepted our terms and conditions and must abide accordingly. Unauthorised reproduction and copying is strictly prohibited. Selective contents of the website have been re-produced in accordance to Office of Public Sector Information (OPSI). ICS Legal Immigration Specialists Ltd holds PSI Licence and licence number is C2009002244. Parliamentary Licence number is P2009000241. 

The content on our site is provided for general information only. It is not intended to amount to advice on which you should rely. You must obtain professional or specialist advice before taking, or refraining from, any action on the basis of the content on our site. Although we make reasonable efforts to update the information on our site, we make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that the content on our site is accurate, complete or up-to-date. We do not guarantee that our site, or any content on it, will always be available or be uninterrupted. Access to our site is permitted on a temporary basis. We may suspend, withdraw, discontinue or change all or any part of our site without notice. We will not be liable to you if for any reason our site is unavailable at any time or for any period. You are responsible for making all arrangements necessary for you to have access to our site. You are also responsible for ensuring that all persons who access our site through your Internet connection are aware of these terms, and that they comply with them.

Stay in touch

Subscribe to receive our latest immigration alerts