Mon-Fri 9am-6pm
    020 7237 3388
    (UK Local Number, 1p per min)
    ICS Legal, Suite 11, City Business Centre,
    Lower Road, London SE16 2XB

UK maintenance and Fees and the 28 day rule

Maintenance and Fees and the 28-day rule

When submitting a Tier 4 (General) student visa application you will need to submit evidence that you have sufficient funds to cover your tuition fees, for the first academic year, as well as your living costs.

You must provide the correct financial evidence in the correct format or your visa application will be refused.

How much money do I need?

Course fees

You will normally need to pay a deposit of £4,000 towards your tuition fees in order to be issued with a CAS. You can deduct this £4,000 plus any extra fees you have paid towards your tuition fees from the total amount you need to show for your fees.

Any payments you have made towards your tuition fees must be stated on your CAS. For example, if you are applying for a visa to study a one year Masters course and:

  • Your fees are £14,500

  • You have paid the £4,000 deposit plus an extra £2,000 towards your fees

  • Your CAS states: Course Fees for the Year: £14,500, Course Fees Paid so far: £6,000

Therefore you must have £8,500 in your account for your tuition fees and the funds for your living costs

Living costs

You must have enough money to support yourself while you are studying in the UK. You will need to show £1,265.00 for each month of your course for a maximum of nine months. Therefore, you must have a total of £11,385.00 for your living costs.

For example:

If you are studying on a three-year Undergraduate course, you will need to show £11,385.00 (£1,265 × 9 months) for your living costs.

If you are a current student and you need to extend your visa, and you have 3 months remaining of your course, you will need to show £3,795.00 (£1,265 × 3) for your living costs.

The 28-Day Rule

Any money you use for maintenance (tuition fees and living costs) must be in your account for a consecutive period of 28 days. During the 28 day period, this money cannot drop below the required amount for even one day or you will not meet the Home Office requirements and your application will be refused.

Your bank statement must be no more than 31 days old on the date of your application.


To get help and support for your Tier 4 Visa Application
Talk to our experts and get the right advice the first time, every time.



Recommended Pages

ICS Legal : UK Immigration Advice | UK Visas | Partners & Marriage Visas | Tier 1 Start-up, Tier 1 Innovator & Tier 1 Investor Visas | British Citizenship. ICS Legal is part of ICS Legal Immigration Specialists Ltd. The content and the source codes contained in this page and subsequent pages of www.icslegal.com are the property of ICS Legal Immigration Specialists Ltd. Company Reg Company No. 08703375. Company Registered in England & Wales. By logging into the site, you have accepted our terms and conditions and must abide accordingly. Unauthorised reproduction and copying is strictly prohibited. Selective contents of the website have been re-produced in accordance to Office of Public Sector Information (OPSI). ICS Legal Immigration Specialists Ltd holds PSI Licence and licence number is C2009002244. Parliamentary Licence number is P2009000241. 

The content on our site is provided for general information only. It is not intended to amount to advice on which you should rely. You must obtain professional or specialist advice before taking, or refraining from, any action on the basis of the content on our site. Although we make reasonable efforts to update the information on our site, we make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that the content on our site is accurate, complete or up-to-date. We do not guarantee that our site, or any content on it, will always be available or be uninterrupted. Access to our site is permitted on a temporary basis. We may suspend, withdraw, discontinue or change all or any part of our site without notice. We will not be liable to you if for any reason our site is unavailable at any time or for any period. You are responsible for making all arrangements necessary for you to have access to our site. You are also responsible for ensuring that all persons who access our site through your Internet connection are aware of these terms, and that they comply with them.

Stay in touch

Subscribe to receive our latest immigration alerts