Legal enquiry
Full Name:
Telephone No:
Your enquiry:
ICS Legal - Immigration advisory services
request call back
ICS Legal is a OISC Regulated organisation F201300789, we are not affiliated with any government organisation, including the UKBA.Use our Contact Form for a free assessment.Please speak to us for more information on 0207 237 3388.
Full Name:
Telephone No:
Call back time:
Call back date:
ICS Legal - UK immigration advisory services
Immigration Lawyers | Immigration & Visa Specialists | Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm |
020 7237 3388
Advanced Search
Index >> Visa Refusal / Appeals, Complex Cases >> Change of name >&g back button

Most visited:

Change your name by deed poll

You don’t have to follow a legal process to start using a new name. But you might need a ‘deed poll’ to apply for or to change official documents like your passport or driving licence. There are different rules for changing your name in Scotland.

Get a deed poll

  1. A deed poll is a legal document that proves a change of name. You can change any part, add or remove names and hyphens, or change the spelling.

  2. It doesn’t cost anything to make your own deed poll. Specialist agencies and solicitors may charge a fee to do it for you.

  3. You must be 18 or over to make a deed poll.

  4. There are extra rules about changing a child’s name.

Marriage and civil partnership
You don’t need a deed poll to take your partner’s surname. Send a copy of your marriage or civil partnership certificate to record-holders, eg benefits offices. Your documents will be updated for free.

If you divorce or end your civil partnership

You may be able to go back to your original name by showing record-holders either your:

  1. marriage certificate and decree absolute;

  2. civil partnership certificate and final order;

  3. Some organisations won’t change your name back without a deed poll.

Make an adult deed poll
You’ll need to do one of the following:

  1. use the official forms - do this if you want the name put on the official register (sometimes called being ‘enrolled’);

  2. make your own deed poll;

  3. use a specialist agency or a solicitor.

There are different rules if you want to change a child’s name.

Make your own deed poll
If you don’t want to register your deed poll, you can make your own instead. Speak to ICS Legal, as we can offer a deed poll template for a small fee, by calling us on 0207 237 3388. 

Change a child’s name
To change the name of a child aged under 18 (sometimes called a ‘minor’) you’ll need either:

  1. the agreement of everyone with parental responsibility;

  2. a court order.

You must try to reach an agreement before you seek a court order.


UK Visas & Immigration Services | ICS Legal



Developed and Managed by Tech ICS © 2006 - 2019 Copyrights ICS LEGAL IMMIGRATION SPECIALISTS LTD | All rights reserved | UK immigration advice | Marriage Visa | British Citizenship | Tier 1 HSMP |