Mon-Fri 9am-6pm
    020 7237 3388
    (UK Local Number, 1p per min)
    ICS Legal, Suite 11, City Business Centre,
    Lower Road, London SE16 2XB

Tier 2 Minister of Religion | Religion Work Visa in the UK

Tier 2 (Minister of Religion) Visa

The Tier 2 visa allows you to come and undertake religious work within a religious organisation. You will not be able to conduct any other forms of work whilst in the UK as a Tier 2 (Minister of Religion) worker. 

Further to this, you will not be able to access public funds nor study in the UK. As part of the immigration application, the Home Office will conduct genuine employment checks, to make sure that you will be able to undertake the role and have been genuinely employed by the religious worker. 

The visa is granted with a maximum period of 6 years and after a period of continuous residency of 5 years, you will be able to apply for indefinite leave to remain. 

Employment as a Tier 2 (Minister of Religion)

As part of your application, you must not fall for refusal under general grounds of refusal and will need to demonstrate that you would be employed in the following roles:

  • preaching or performing pastoral duties;

  • work as a missionary; or

  • work in a religious order within a community which involves a permanent commitment, like a monastery or a convent.

Pastoral duties include:

  • leading worship regularly and on special occasions;

  • giving religious education to children and adults by preaching or teaching;

  • officiating at marriages, funerals and other special services; and

  • offering counselling and welfare support to members of the congregation; and

  • recruiting, training and coordinating the work of any local volunteers and lay preachers.

Work as a missionary is not just preaching and teaching. It can include:

  • the organisation of missionary activity (but should not be administrative or clerical, unless filling a senior post);

  • supervising staff;

  • coordinating the organisation of missionary work;

  • being in charge of a particular activity such as accounts/finance, personnel management or IT; and

  • translating religious texts - this is missionary work, not clerical work.

Applying as a Tier 2 (Minister of Religion)

The application for a Tier 2 Minister of Religion can be made once your religious organisation have assigned a valid certificate of sponsorship. You will also need to meet the English language requirement and also the maintenance requirement. 

The visa application is applied online; this is whether you are in the UK or outside of the UK. Once you have completed your Tier 2 (Minister of Religion) visa application, you will be able to pay for the visa fees and book the visa appointment. As part of the submission, you will need to submit your legal representation and also the evidences to support your Tier 2 (Minister of Religion) application. 

The decision making of a Tier 2 (Minister of Religion) visa does not take more than 15 working days however this would depend on individual applications and country of application. Once a decision is served, the Home Office can issue up to 5 years Tier 2 (Minister of Religion) visa. Your visa validity will depend on the certificate of sponsorship issued by your religious organisation.  

Your Tier 2 (Minister of Religion) visa comes with a number of conditions, which includes no recourse to public funds, may require registering with the police and will need permission to study in the UK unless the exception policies apply. 

Extension applications for Tier 2 (Minister of Religion) visas

You will need to have been issued with a new Certificate of Sponsorship for your continued employment. The maximum period of employment under this visa is for 6 years. 

Bringing dependants to the UK under the Tier 2 (Minister of Religion)

The Tier 2 (Minister of Religion) visa allows you to bring dependants to the UK and they will need to apply for their visa separately to yours. Your visa application will list your dependant details and link their applications to you. 

When your partner is applying for the Tier 2 (Minister of Religion) dependant visa, you both must demonstrate that you are legally married or have lived together 2 years prior to the relocation. You must also provide evidences to show the relationship is genuine and subsisting. Evidence of the intention to live together as partner must also be demonstrated. They will also require you to show adequate maintenance. 

For the children, both parents must be present in the UK unless one parent holds sole parental rights or there are serious and compelling grounds. The dependant child must be living as part of the household and be financially dependent on you. 

Refusal of your Tier 2 (Minister of Religion) Visa

Where your Tier 2 (Minister of Religion) application is refused, you will be able to appeal against the decision, however this can be done only through administrative review. Your decision letter will explain the reasons why the Tier 2 (Minister of Religion) application has been refused. 

Depending on whether you have applied in the UK or outside of the UK, the Tier 2 (Minister of Religion) comes with a limited to challenge against the decision. Please check the date of service. The appeal process does not go before the First Tier Tribunal. 

At ICS Legal, we will assess your refusal merits and advise you on the best course of action. Please email us a copy of your Tier 2 (Minister of Religion) refusal letter to info@icslegal.com

Applying for indefinite leave to remain as a Tier 2 (Minister of Religion)

Where you have lived in the UK under the Tier 2 (Minister of religion) visa for a period of 5 years, you may be eligible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). The immigration policy allows you to use period of leave under other immigration categories to be combined, such as a Tier 1 visa, Tier 2 General visa as examples of categories. 

The application requires you to be a person of good character and must demonstrate that you do not fall for refusal under the general grounds of refusal. Further to this, you must prove that you meet the salary threshold and have met the financial adequacy test. The knowledge of life requirement must also be met.

Taking legal advice on the Tier 2 (Minister of Religion)

At ICS Legal, we will advise you on the correct process of applying under the Tier 2 (Minister of Religion) working visa and support you throughout the visa application process.

You can speak to one of our UK Immigration Lawyers on the Tier 2 (Minister of Religion) visa requirements by sending us an email on info@icslegal.com or you can call us on 0207 237 3388


ICS Legal : UK Immigration Advice | UK Visas | Partners & Marriage Visas | Tier 1 Start-up, Tier 1 Innovator & Tier 1 Investor Visas | British Citizenship. ICS Legal is part of ICS Legal Immigration Specialists Ltd. The content and the source codes contained in this page and subsequent pages of www.icslegal.com are the property of ICS Legal Immigration Specialists Ltd. Company Reg Company No. 08703375. Company Registered in England & Wales. By logging into the site, you have accepted our terms and conditions and must abide accordingly. Unauthorised reproduction and copying is strictly prohibited. Selective contents of the website have been re-produced in accordance to Office of Public Sector Information (OPSI). ICS Legal Immigration Specialists Ltd holds PSI Licence and licence number is C2009002244. Parliamentary Licence number is P2009000241. 

The content on our site is provided for general information only. It is not intended to amount to advice on which you should rely. You must obtain professional or specialist advice before taking, or refraining from, any action on the basis of the content on our site. Although we make reasonable efforts to update the information on our site, we make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that the content on our site is accurate, complete or up-to-date. We do not guarantee that our site, or any content on it, will always be available or be uninterrupted. Access to our site is permitted on a temporary basis. We may suspend, withdraw, discontinue or change all or any part of our site without notice. We will not be liable to you if for any reason our site is unavailable at any time or for any period. You are responsible for making all arrangements necessary for you to have access to our site. You are also responsible for ensuring that all persons who access our site through your Internet connection are aware of these terms, and that they comply with them.

Stay in touch

Subscribe to receive our latest immigration alerts