Mon-Fri 9am-6pm
    020 7237 3388
    (UK Local Number, 1p per min)
    ICS Legal, Suite 11, City Business Centre,
    Lower Road, London SE16 2XB

Tier 2 Visa English Language Requirements

Tier 2 English Language requirements

The immigration policy sets out the guidance when applying for the Tier 2 visa and the requirements of the English language is required.

To meet the English language requirements, the Home Office uses 4 methods to assess whether that English language requirements have been met:

  1. If you are a national from a majority English speaking country, then you would be exempted.

  2. Approved English language tests.

  3. Degree that have been taught in English.

  4. Exempted from the English language requirements or that you do not need to meet the English language requirements. 

Taking an approved English language test

The Home Office publishes the approved English language tests that are available, which can be taken in the UK or outside of the UK. If you do not complete an approved test with an approved test provider, your visa application can be refused. 

List of majority English-speaking countries

Here is a list of countries of nationals that are exempted from the language requirements: 

  1. Antigua & Barbuda.

  2. Australia.

  3. The Bahamas.

  4. Barbados.

  5. Belize.

  6. Dominica.

  7. Grenada.

  8. Guyana.

  9. Jamaica.

  10. New Zealand.

  11. St Kitts & Nevis.

  12. St Lucia.

  13. St Vincent & the Grenadines.

  14. Trinidad & Tobago.

  15. The USA.

To use this requirement, you must provide the specified evidence as required by the immigration rules. There may be exception policy if you do not have the prescribed evidence and will need to make a formal submission to have discretion being applied. 

Having a degree taught in English

In order to qualify, you must hold a suitable degree and this must be acceptable as proof of English ability. Your degree must be equivalent to a UK Bachelor's level or higher. 

You must also demonstrate that the degree have been taught or researched in English. Where the degree was taken in one of the majority English-speaking countries listed above, and then it will be assumed that it was taught in English.

You must send your original degree certificate with your application. If you have lost this, the original copy of a letter from the university you attended on official, headed paper would suffice.

The Home Office will conduct a verification checks when you submit evidences to satisfy the English language requirements. 

Taking legal advice on the Tier 2 English language requirements

At ICS Legal, we will advise you on the correct process of applying under the Tier 2 General visa, advice on the language requirements and support you throughout the visa application process. 

You can speak to one of our UK Immigration Lawyers on the Tier 2 General visa requirements by sending us an email on info@icslegal.com or you can call us on 0207 237 3388. We also have a free visa assessment form that you can complete and allows us to advise you on the next process of extending your visa. 


ICS Legal : UK Immigration Advice | UK Visas | Partners & Marriage Visas | Tier 1 Start-up, Tier 1 Innovator & Tier 1 Investor Visas | British Citizenship. ICS Legal is part of ICS Legal Immigration Specialists Ltd. The content and the source codes contained in this page and subsequent pages of www.icslegal.com are the property of ICS Legal Immigration Specialists Ltd. Company Reg Company No. 08703375. Company Registered in England & Wales. By logging into the site, you have accepted our terms and conditions and must abide accordingly. Unauthorised reproduction and copying is strictly prohibited. Selective contents of the website have been re-produced in accordance to Office of Public Sector Information (OPSI). ICS Legal Immigration Specialists Ltd holds PSI Licence and licence number is C2009002244. Parliamentary Licence number is P2009000241. 

The content on our site is provided for general information only. It is not intended to amount to advice on which you should rely. You must obtain professional or specialist advice before taking, or refraining from, any action on the basis of the content on our site. Although we make reasonable efforts to update the information on our site, we make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that the content on our site is accurate, complete or up-to-date. We do not guarantee that our site, or any content on it, will always be available or be uninterrupted. Access to our site is permitted on a temporary basis. We may suspend, withdraw, discontinue or change all or any part of our site without notice. We will not be liable to you if for any reason our site is unavailable at any time or for any period. You are responsible for making all arrangements necessary for you to have access to our site. You are also responsible for ensuring that all persons who access our site through your Internet connection are aware of these terms, and that they comply with them.

Stay in touch

Subscribe to receive our latest immigration alerts