Legal enquiry
Full Name:
Telephone No:
Your enquiry:
ICS Legal - Immigration advisory services
request call back
ICS Legal is a OISC Regulated organisation F201300789, we are not affiliated with any government organisation, including the UKBA.Use our Contact Form for a free assessment.Please speak to us for more information on 0207 237 3388.
Full Name:
Telephone No:
Call back time:
Call back date:
ICS Legal - UK immigration advisory services
Immigration Lawyers | Immigration & Visa Specialists | Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm |
London Office ICS Legal Suite 11, City Business Centre
Canada Water Lower Road, London SE16 2XB.
Sylhet Office Tech ICS West World, 6th floor Office 712-713
Jallarpar Road, Zindabazar Sylhet.Tel: 01762 062 834.
020 7237 3388
Advanced Search
Index >> Working Visas in the UK >> Skilled Work Permit >> Tier 2 Visa Maintenance Requirements >&g back button

Most visited:

Skilled Work Permit

Tier 2 visa Maintenance Requirements 

In order to qualify for a Tier 2 (General) visa, you must score 10 points for maintenance funds as part of your application for leave to enter or leave to remain. The purpose of the maintenance requirment is to ensure that you and any dependants either joining you or extending their leave to remain, are able to support themselves without recourse to public funds. You should check the cost of living in the UK and that you have enough money to support yourself and any dependants. 

If you are already in the UK in some other immigration categories, you will get 10 points without having to prove that you can support yourself and these categories are as follows:

  • Any Tier 2 category.

  • Work permit holder.

  • Jewish Agency employee.

  • Member of ground staff for an international airline.

  • Minister of religion, missionary, monk or similar.

  • Member of the press.

Alternatively, you can score your 10 maintenance points by showing either that: 

  • You have had personal savings in your bank account for three months at the time the application is made or 

  • Your sponsor will maintain and accommodate you until the end of your first month of their work in the United Kingdom (when you will be paid). You must have a letter from your employer confirming that this is the case.

Maintenance requirements for dependents coming to the UK or already in the UK

You may wish to bring your dependent family with you. Your dependent family are:

  • Wife or civil partner.

  • Unmarried partner.

  • Children under 18 at the time of your application.

If their applications are successful, dependents will be entitled to stay in the UK with you for so long as they do not claim benefits in the UK. You should have calculated what it will cost to support them before you come to the UK. To satisfy the maintenance requirement and score ten points, you may need to show a reduced funds depending on the length of your stay in the UK. 

The savings must have been in personal savings account for three months at the time that the application is made. If you are applying from outside the UK or have been in the UK for less than 12 months at the time when you make your application, the requirements of the cash savings may be higher. 

Providing the specified evidence to meet the Immigration Rules

If your A-rated sponsor is certifying that it will maintain and accommodate you if necessary for your first month of employment, this must be confirmed. Specified evidences will need to be provided at the date of your application. If your employer is not able to provide the specified evidence, then you will be required to meet the maintenance requirements on your own right. 

Maintenance requirements covering the 90 days before you apply

The personal bank or building society statements should cover the specified periods and must have the correct balance to meet the Immigration Rules. 

Evidence must be in the form of cash funds held in an account (this includes saving accounts and current accounts even when notice must be given). Other accounts or financial instruments such as shares, bonds, overdrafts, credit cards, pension funds etc, are not acceptable, regardless of notice period.

It may be possible to meet the maintenance requirements in other forms which will depend on either your circumstances of your family members. You can complete our assessment form by clicking here or you can call us on 0207 237 3388. 

UK Visas & Immigration Services | ICS Legal



Developed and Managed by Tech ICS © 2006 - 2019 Copyrights ICS LEGAL IMMIGRATION SPECIALISTS LTD | All rights reserved | UK immigration advice | Marriage Visa | British Citizenship | Tier 1 HSMP |