Legal enquiry
Full Name:
Telephone No:
Your enquiry:
ICS Legal - Immigration advisory services
request call back
ICS Legal is a OISC Regulated organisation F201300789, we are not affiliated with any government organisation, including the UKBA.Use our Contact Form for a free assessment.Please speak to us for more information on 0207 237 3388.
Full Name:
Telephone No:
Call back time:
Call back date:
ICS Legal - UK immigration advisory services
Immigration Lawyers | Immigration & Visa Specialists | Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm |
London Office ICS Legal Suite 11, City Business Centre
Canada Water Lower Road, London SE16 2XB.
Sylhet Office Tech ICS West World, 6th floor Office 712-713
Jallarpar Road, Zindabazar Sylhet.Tel: 01762 062 834.
020 7237 3388
Advanced Search
Index >> Temporary Workers >> UK Ancestry >&g back button

Most visited:

UK Ancestry Visa | Temporary Work Visa

You can apply for a UK Ancestry visa if you:

  • are a Commonwealth citizen;

  • are applying from outside the UK;

  • are able to prove that one of your grandparents was born in the UK;

  • are able and planning to work in the UK;

  • meet the other eligibility requirements.

To ensure your application for UK Ancestry visa is not refused, please e-mail us your details on or call us on 0207 237 3388. Complete our visa assessment form, click here to complete this.

How long it will take
You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before your date of travel to the UK. You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks. You can check the guide processing times to find out how long getting a visa might take in your country.

Your UK Ancestry visa will cost £324. You may also have to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your application. Check how much you’ll have to pay before you apply.

How long you can stay
You can stay in the UK for 5 years on this visa. You can apply to extend your visa. You can also apply to settle in the UK permanently.

What you can and can’t do
You can:

  • work;

  • study;

  • bring family members.

You can’t:

  • change (‘switch’) into this visa if you’re already in the UK on another visa;

  • get public funds.

If you are a Commonwealth citizen and you are able to show that one of your grandparents was born in the UK (including Southern Ireland prior to 31 March 1922) you may apply for a visa that will allow you to stay here for a period of up to 5 years.

You cannot claim UK ancestry through step-parents, but you can apply if you or your parent (through whom you are claiming ancestry) are adopted. You must show evidence of the legal adoption of your application form.


During that time you may work without restriction, whether employed or self-employed. You may also freely exit and re-enter the UK multiple times. You must apply for this visa outside the UK – usually from your home country. If you do not meet these requirements, you will need to apply under one of our other work-based immigration routes in order to work here.

Applying from outside the United Kingdom

You must obtain permission to enter the United Kingdom (known as 'entry clearance') on the basis of your United Kingdom ancestry before you travel here. This entry clearance will take the form of a visa or entry clearance certificate - to obtain it, you should apply to the British diplomatic post in the country where you live.

Applying from inside the United Kingdom

If you have already entered the United Kingdom with a different kind of visa, you cannot switch to the United Kingdom ancestry category. The Home Office will only give you permission to stay in the country on the basis of United Kingdom ancestry if you entered the United Kingdom holding entry clearance based on your United Kingdom ancestry, or we have already given you permission to stay based on United Kingdom ancestry.

Settling or extending your stay in the United Kingdom

If you have lived and worked continuously in the United Kingdom for five years in this category, and if you still meet the United Kingdom ancestry requirements you can apply to live here permanently. 


Call ICS Legal today on 0207 237 3388 to get some initial legal advice. 

UK Visas & Immigration Services | ICS Legal



Developed and Managed by Tech ICS © 2006 - 2020 Copyrights ICS LEGAL IMMIGRATION SPECIALISTS LTD | All rights reserved | UK immigration advice | Marriage Visa | British Citizenship | Tier 1 HSMP |