Legal enquiry
Full Name:
Telephone No:
Your enquiry:
ICS Legal - Immigration advisory services
request call back
ICS Legal is a OISC Regulated organisation F201300789, we are not affiliated with any government organisation, including the UKBA.Use our Contact Form for a free assessment.Please speak to us for more information on 0207 237 3388.
Full Name:
Telephone No:
Call back time:
Call back date:
ICS Legal - UK immigration advisory services
Immigration Lawyers | Immigration & Visa Specialists | Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm |
London Office ICS Legal Suite 11, City Business Centre
Canada Water Lower Road, London SE16 2XB.
Sylhet Office Tech ICS West World, 6th floor Office 712-713
Jallarpar Road, Zindabazar Sylhet.Tel: 01762 062 834.
020 7237 3388
Advanced Search
Index >> European Citizens >> Permanent residence >&g back button

Most visited:

EU permanent residency card - Permanent Residence  application  

As a European citizen, you are deemed to automatically acquire Permanent Residence after completing 5 lawful years in the UK under the European Regulations. However, you will need to prove that you have been a qualified person under the EEA Reg 2006. 

Making a permanent residence application

In order to qualify for permanent residence, a person needs to have been residing in the UK as a qualified person for five years. Possession of a residence certificate or residence card is not enough by itself because these are always issued for five years and a person might cease their qualifying activity during the five-year period.

You can apply for a document certifying permanent residence if you’ve lived in the UK for 5 years as a qualified person. This will prove your right to live in the UK permanently.

You can also apply if you’re the family member of a qualified person, or you have a retained right of residence. You must have lived in the UK for 5 years.

In some cases, you can get permanent residence if you’ve lived in the UK for fewer than 5 years.

Download and fill in the document certifying permanent residence application form. Post it to the Home Office address on the form, with the £65 fee and supporting documents. 

How to check if you meet the requirements?

Given the new changes on applying to become a British national, it would be advisable for you to speak to a qualified immigration lawyer, to ensure you meet the requirements. You can complete our assessment form, by clicking here or you can e-mail us your details to

Making an application to certify Permanent Residence can be complex and the number of documents required tends to deter people from submitting an application. Yet this could be the only option for some EU migrants to ensure security with regards to their status in the UK. This is more likely to apply to EU migrants who have recently entered the UK and are closer to clocking up 5 years as opposed to 6 years, but it applies to all EU citizens who have lived here for a very long time with the passport of their country of origin, provided they meet the rules and requirements.

Once you are granted your permanent residency card, you have no restrictions on your stay in the UK and do not have to be a qualified person to remain in the UK. This means that there are no restrictions attached to your leave in the UK and you are free to exit and enter as you wish, provided you are not out of the country for more than 2 years at which point Permanent Residence is lost.

Permanent Residence also gives organisations peace of mind when employing European nationals. A document proving you are free from immigration control is far more comforting than a passport without an endorsement. 

Permanent residence is now mandatory for an application to become a British national. Call us today on 0207 237 3388 to get some initial advice.


UK Visas & Immigration Services | ICS Legal



Developed and Managed by Tech ICS © 2006 - 2020 Copyrights ICS LEGAL IMMIGRATION SPECIALISTS LTD | All rights reserved | UK immigration advice | Marriage Visa | British Citizenship | Tier 1 HSMP |