An overview on the UK Ancestry visa

How much does it cost?

A Uk ancestry application will cost you £496. You may also be subject to pay the health care surcharge.

How long can you stay on this visa?

You can stay for up to 5 years on this visa. After that, you can extend your visa for another 5 years. Note that after the first 5 years you are able to apply for permanent settlement in the UK.

Who can apply?

You can apply for such a visa if:

  • You are a Commonwealth citizen
  • You are applying from outside the UK
  • You have a grandparent that was born in the UK
  • You are able to and plan to work when in the UK

Other eligibility requirements include being over the age of 17. You also must prove that you are able to finance your stay in the UK without support from public funds and also sufficient funds for any dependants you may have

How can I prove my ancestry?

You can prove your ancestry by proving that your grandparent has been born in one of the following circumstances:

  • They were born in the UK which includes the Channel Islands and Islan of Man
  • They were born before 1922 in what is today the Republic of Ireland
  • They were born on a British registered ship or aircraft

When can you claim ancestry?

You can claim ancestry if either you or the relevant parent:

  • were adopted
  • were inside or outside marriage in the UK

You cannot claim ancestry via step-parents

What documents will I need?

  • A valid passport or travel identification
  • Bank statements proving you have sufficient funds to live in the UK
  • Tuberculosis test results if you are from a country where it is required (Kenya, Eritrea, and Somalia)
  • Your Birth certificate
  • Your marriage or Civil partnership documents if your partner wants to join you in the UK
  • The Brith certificate of the parent/grandparent that you are basing your claim on
  • The Marriage certificate of your parents and grandparents
  • Legal adoption papers if you were adopted

What I Can do and what I Cannot?

You Can work, study and bring members of your family. You cannot ‘switch’ into this visa if you’re already in the UK on another visa. Also, you cannot get public funds.

For more information on this type of visa please visit our website at We will be more than happy to support you.