June 2017 - ICS Legal Blog

Contact Us: + 44 0207 237 3388

Latest UK & International Legal News

Transfer or refer a case

Caseworkers must carry out the following checks before referring a case. Check the ‘Special Conditions’ screen Upon the icon being activated ,a red box containing a white asterisk, the note will read'STOP-CRIM.CASE'. You must immediately alert the criminal casework. If an action marker is present , follow the CID special conditions case working guidance. The central reference system (CRS) CRS must always be checked for local alerts and the details must be actioned as necessary. How to transfer a case on CID Before carrying out this process all initial checks must be completed. Complete the ‘case notes’ screen to state you are transferring the case to an external location and the reasons for this.The following does not apply to transfers to removals casework.Complete and print any required forms or letters. Update case ‘maintenance screen’ on CID by completing the following: 1. Click‘case extended’, which is below the‘previous category’ field 2. Enter the destination of the case into the ‘allocated to (unit)’ field by pressing the F9 key and selecting your chosen option. 3. Click on the ‘on’ box to ensure date of allocation is updated. 4. Click on the ‘ownership tab’ on this screen. 5. Under the ‘request to unit’...

Pre – departure accommodation

In 2010 the coalition government committed to end the routine detention of children for immigration purposes. To support this commitment, in March 2011 the Home Office changed the way in which it deals with families with no lawful basis of stay in the UK by introducing a new family returns process. This process seeks to give families every opportunity to leave the country voluntarily and places the welfare of the child at its heart. The family returns process is divided into three stages, they are: assisted return required return ensured return The government was clear that once the assisted and required return stages had been exhausted and a family failed to leave the UK of their own accord, the Home Office would continue to take steps to make sure they depart. Where necessary, as a last resort to support the family’s removal, this might include a short stay in a new type of facility known as pre-departure accommodation(PDA). The first PDA, Cedars in West Sussex, opened in August 2011. The approach at the  pre-departure accommodation (PDA) is deliberately intended to allow families to stay together as far as possible, allowing them to lead as normal a family life as possible...

European passport return service

The European passport return service allows you and your family to take your passports to a participating local authority for verification and copying, and for the local authority to then send the copy to the Home Office. This allows you to keep your passports while your applications for documentation to prove your right to live in the UK are being processed. You can use this service if you are an EEA or Swiss national and you have applied online for a registration certificate or a document certifying permanent residence. The European passport return service can only be used to verify and copy your and your family’s passports, to submit with your applications. Make an appointment You must contact a local authority to book an appointment to use this service. You’ll need to attend an appointment with them within 5 working days of submitting your online application, so you may want to book one before you submit this application. What you need to bring with you You will need to bring: your original passports a copy of your checklist and supporting documents a printed copy of your application form  

Status of EU citizens in the UK

Offer for EU citizens in the UK The UK government’s offer for EU citizens is: People who have been continuously living here for 5 years will be able to apply to stay indefinitely by getting ‘settled status’. That means these citizens will be free to live here, have access to public funds and services and apply for British citizenship. People who arrived before the cut-off date, but won’t have been here for 5 years when we leave the EU, will be able to apply to stay until they have reached the 5 year threshold. They can then also apply for settled status. People who arrive after the cut-off date will be able to apply for permission to remain after the UK leaves the EU, under the future immigration arrangements for EU citizens. Family dependants who are living with or join EU citizens before the UK’s exit will also be able to apply for settled status after 5 years in the UK. In these cases the cut-off date won’t apply. The cut-off date will be agreed during the negotiations but  it shouldn’t be earlier than 29 March 2017 (the date Article 50 was triggered) or later than the date the UK...