Changes relating to Tier 5 of the Points-Based System
Tier 5 of the Points-Based System encompasses the Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) and Tier 5 (Temporary Worker) categories. The following changes are being made in Tier 5:
- The Immigration Rules are amended to specify new allocations of places to participating countries for 2017 in the Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) category. The allocations are based on previous levels of take up by British citizens of equivalent schemes offered by participating countries.
- The Rules are amended to provide for the operation of arrangements to manage the allocation of places under the Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) allocation for Japan, where demand is expected to significantly exceed supply.
- Deemed sponsorship status is conferred upon Taiwan.
- The provisions of the Immigration Rules in respect of maintenance requirements are amended to bring them in line with the equivalent provisions for Tier 2 migrants, providing A-Rated Tier 5 sponsors with the option of certifying maintenance in respect of a Tier 5 migrant by confirming that that they will maintain and accommodate the migrant for the first month of their stay. The rules are also amended to enable a Tier 5 sponsor to certify maintenance in respect of the dependants of a Tier 5 migrant.
- Remove four schemes from the list of Government Authorised Exchange Schemes at Appendix N to the Immigration Rules.