Legal enquiry
Full Name:
Telephone No:
Your enquiry:
ICS Legal - Immigration advisory services
request call back
ICS Legal is a OISC Regulated organisation F201300789, we are not affiliated with any government organisation, including the UKBA.Use our Contact Form for a free assessment.Please speak to us for more information on 0207 237 3388.
Full Name:
Telephone No:
Call back time:
Call back date:
ICS Legal - UK immigration advisory services
Immigration Lawyers | Immigration & Visa Specialists | Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm |
London Office ICS Legal, Suite 11, City Business Centre
Lower Road, London SE16 2XB.
ICS Legal, 7 Bell Yard London WC2A 2JR
Sylhet Office Tech ICS West World, 6th floor Office 712-713
Jallarpar Road, Zindabazar Sylhet.Tel: 01762 062 834.
020 7237 3388
Advanced Search
Index >> Working Visas in the UK >> Highly Skilled Workers >&g back button

Most visited:

 Tier 2 Visa | Tier 2 Work Permit | Skilled Worker

Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP) Visas - {Closed Category}

This section will contain information regarding the types work categories available without the need of an employer to sponsor you. Some of the categories lead to a settlement, whilst other’s can count towards settlement.

If you are currently in the United Kingdom in the old category and your leave is soon to expire, then you would need to apply under the relevant category that you qualify. The highly skilled worker's scheme, renamed as being Tier 1 General, is designed to allow skilled people to come or remain in the United Kingdom to work or do self-employment. Post 6th April 2011, you cannot switch or enter the UK into this category. The extension is now closed and only until 5th April 2018, can you apply for indefinite leave to remain after 5 years in the UK.

The Home Office will assess what provisions are needed for indefinite leave to remain applications once all extension applications have been processed after April 2015, and will consider making adjustments in a future change to the Immigration Rules. Under the current Rules, however, applications for indefinite leave to remain will no longer be accepted in Tier 1 (General) category from 6 April 2018. Applicants who are currently in the UK and who wish to apply for indefinite leave to remain must submit an application on or before 5 April 2018.

General information on the Tier 1 policy and its previous association with HSMP

From February 2008, all HSMP applications have been submitted under Tier 1 of the new points-based system (PBS) for skilled migration to the UK. The PBS comprises 5 tiers, with each one covering a different level of skill or a specific occupation. Over the course of 2008, the HSMP visa was being phased out and entirely replaced with the Tier 1 visa.

The following will apply to those who are already in the UK and are on the Tier 1 General or HSMP. There is no requirement for you to have an employer. The points are awarded for age, qualifications, your last 12 months earnings, your UK experience, English language and maintenance funds.

The rule is very restricted and only allows certain people to switch from in country. The Home Office has stated that the following people can enter this category and they are as follows:

  1. Already in the United Kingdom with permission to stay (known as 'leave to remain') as a Tier 1 or HSMP migrant.

  2. Already in the United Kingdom as a highly skilled worker and you want to extend your permission to stay within your existing category;

  3. Already in the United Kingdom under the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP), you want to extend your permission to stay and you are eligible to switch into the highly skilled worker category.

Want to know more? Read about other UK Visa options:

UK Visas & Immigration Services | ICS Legal



Developed and Managed by Tech ICS © 2006 - 2020 Copyrights ICS LEGAL IMMIGRATION SPECIALISTS LTD | All rights reserved | UK immigration advice | Marriage Visa | British Citizenship | Tier 1 HSMP |