Legal enquiry
Full Name:
Telephone No:
Your enquiry:
ICS Legal - Immigration advisory services
request call back
ICS Legal is a OISC Regulated organisation F201300789, we are not affiliated with any government organisation, including the UKBA.Use our Contact Form for a free assessment.Please speak to us for more information on 0207 237 3388.
Full Name:
Telephone No:
Call back time:
Call back date:
ICS Legal - UK immigration advisory services
Immigration Lawyers | Immigration & Visa Specialists | Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm |
London Office ICS Legal Suite 11, City Business Centre
Canada Water Lower Road, London SE16 2XB.
Sylhet Office Tech ICS West World, 6th floor Office 712-713
Jallarpar Road, Zindabazar Sylhet.Tel: 01762 062 834.
020 7237 3388
Advanced Search
Index >> Studying in the UK >> tier 4 eligibility requirements >&g back button

Most visited:


Do I need Immigration permission to study in the UK?

You do not need a visa to study at the University if you are a national of a country in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland.

Countries in the EEA include:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, the Republic of Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the United Kingdom.

If you are a national of any other country you require Immigration permission (a visa) to study at the University.

What type of visa do I need?

It is important that you have the correct immigration permission which allows you to study in the UK. The type of visa you will need, and the process for applying for it, will differ based on the type, of course, you plan to study, the duration of your course and several other criteria.

Time limits on study (cap)

There is a maximum time limit for studying on Tier 4 (General) Student visa in the UK. The time limits only apply to students who are 18 years old and over, so any time spent studying on a course when you were under the age of 18 will not count towards the cap.

The cap for studying at below degree level is two years. These two years can be spent studying on a single course or several short courses. 

The cap for studying at degree level is normally five years. When calculating the time that you have spent studying in the UK, you must include the periods of additional leave granted before and after your course. There are some exceptions to the 5-year cap.


Want to find more about Tier 4 Visa?
Talk to our experts and get the right advice first time, every time.


Academic progression

If you are currently on Tier 4 (General) Student visa and wish to apply for further studies in the UK, you must demonstrate academic progression for your new visa application.

To demonstrate academic progression, the new course that you wish to study will usually have to be above the level of the previous course of study.

There are exceptional occasions where you may be able to study a course at the same level as your previous course. 

Have you completed your previous course?

If you have failed to successfully complete the previous course for which your Tier 4  (General) visa was granted, you will not be able to apply for your new visa from inside the UK. You will be required to return home and make your visa application from your home country. 

UK Visas & Immigration Services | ICS Legal



Developed and Managed by Tech ICS © 2006 - 2020 Copyrights ICS LEGAL IMMIGRATION SPECIALISTS LTD | All rights reserved | UK immigration advice | Marriage Visa | British Citizenship | Tier 1 HSMP |