Contact Us: + 44 0207 237 3388

Latest UK & International Legal News

UK family visa processing

You require a family visa to reside with a family member in the UK for more than six months.

If you are outside the UK you can apply for a family to live with your spouse or partner, fiancé, child, parent, and any relative.

If you are inside the UK you can apply to extend your stay with your family member if you are already in the UK on a family visa. However, if you come to the UK on a different visa you may be able to switch to a family visa to reside with your spouse, partner, child or parent.

Apply as a partner or spouse in the UK

You and your partner both require being 18 or over. Your spouse or partner must be a British citizen or settle in the UK meaning to have indefinite leave to remain. Both of you must be intending to live together permanently in the UK.

What you need to prove

You must prove that you are in a civil partnership or marriage that is recognised in the UK. Besides, you must have been living together for at least two years while applying. If you are a fiance you must submit the documents that you will marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within six months of arriving. The documents of your good knowledge of English should be submitted. You should be able to prove that you are financially solvent to support yourself and your dependants.

If you are not eligible to meet these requirements you are still able to apply for UK spouse visa and extend the visa to stay if:

  • You have a child in the UK who is British citizen
  • You have child who lived in the UK for 7 years and it is unreasonable for them to leave the UK
  • That would be very difficult for you and your partner if you lived together as a couple outside the UK that could not be overcome

Applying as a fiance

Eligibility to apply as a fiance

  • If there is any previous marriage, the relationships has been ended
  • You must be able to prove that you are planning to marry within 6 months of arriving in the UK

However, during your engagement you are not allowed to work.

How long you can stay

You are allowed to live with this visa for two years and six months.  After this you will require applying to extend your stay.

How to apply

You will require preparing information and documents to provide with your application. Whether you are in the UK or not, you must online.

Applying fees

Paying the fees depends on whether you are applying in or outside the UK. If you apply outside the UK and you want to join your partner, parent or child, it costs £1523. While applying inside the UK it will cost £1033. Your dependant can be added with your application. But you have to pay extra £1523 for each parson while applying outside the UK. In terms of applying in the UK it will cost £1,033 for each dependant.

However, if you cannot pay the fee while applying you have to fill the online waiver request form. In certain circumstances your situation will be considered. For example if you

  • Do not have a place to live and cannot afford one.
  • Have a place to live but cannot afford essential living costs like food
  • Have a very low income and paying the fee would harm your child’s wellbeing

Proof of the income

If you are applying as a partner or want to settle in the UK you and your partner must have a combined income of at least £18,600 annually. You will require earning extra £3,800 for your first child. Another £2400 is required for each child if you have after your first child.

If you cannot meet the minimum income requirement

You need to show you and your partner meets the minimum income requirement if you want to settle in five years as a partner. If you cannot meet the requirement you may be able to settle in 10 years. However, you are able to settle in five years without meeting the minimum income requirement if you get certain benefits such as disability living allowance or carer’s allowance.

Biometric information

After you apply you will require providing you biometric information. You will be informed how to make an appointment when you apply. You can ask for your passport and other documents to be returned if you have provided them with your application but need them urgently.

Biometric residence permit

If your application is approved you will be given a biometric residence permit. You cannot work or study if you are applying for a visa or extending your stay to get married or become civil partners.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *