Legal enquiry
Full Name:
Telephone No:
Your enquiry:
ICS Legal - Immigration advisory services
request call back
ICS Legal is a OISC Regulated organisation F201300789, we are not affiliated with any government organisation, including the UKBA.Use our Contact Form for a free assessment.Please speak to us for more information on 0207 237 3388.
Full Name:
Telephone No:
Call back time:
Call back date:
ICS Legal - UK immigration advisory services
Immigration Lawyers | Immigration & Visa Specialists | Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm |
020 7237 3388
Advanced Search
Index >> Studying in the UK >> Maintenance and Fees and the 28 day rule >&g back button

Most visited:

Maintenance and Fees and the 28-day rule

When submitting a Tier 4 (General) student visa application you will need to submit evidence that you have sufficient funds to cover your tuition fees, for the first academic year, as well as your living costs.

You must provide the correct financial evidence in the correct format or your visa application will be refused.

How much money do I need?

Course fees

You will normally need to pay a deposit of £4,000 towards your tuition fees in order to be issued with a CAS. You can deduct this £4,000 plus any extra fees you have paid towards your tuition fees from the total amount you need to show for your fees.

Any payments you have made towards your tuition fees must be stated on your CAS. For example, if you are applying for a visa to study a one year Masters course and:

  • Your fees are £14,500

  • You have paid the £4,000 deposit plus an extra £2,000 towards your fees

  • Your CAS states: Course Fees for the Year: £14,500, Course Fees Paid so far: £6,000

Therefore you must have £8,500 in your account for your tuition fees and the funds for your living costs

Living costs

You must have enough money to support yourself while you are studying in the UK. You will need to show £1,265.00 for each month of your course for a maximum of nine months. Therefore, you must have a total of £11,385.00 for your living costs.

For example:

If you are studying on a three-year Undergraduate course, you will need to show £11,385.00 (£1,265 × 9 months) for your living costs.

If you are a current student and you need to extend your visa, and you have 3 months remaining of your course, you will need to show £3,795.00 (£1,265 × 3) for your living costs.

The 28-Day Rule

Any money you use for maintenance (tuition fees and living costs) must be in your account for a consecutive period of 28 days. During the 28 day period, this money cannot drop below the required amount for even one day or you will not meet the Home Office requirements and your application will be refused.

Your bank statement must be no more than 31 days old on the date of your application.


To get help and support for your Tier 4 Visa Application
Talk to our experts and get the right advice first time, every time.



UK Visas & Immigration Services | ICS Legal



Developed and Managed by Tech ICS © 2006 - 2019 Copyrights ICS LEGAL IMMIGRATION SPECIALISTS LTD | All rights reserved | UK immigration advice | Marriage Visa | British Citizenship | Tier 1 HSMP |