Legal enquiry
Full Name:
Telephone No:
Your enquiry:
ICS Legal - Immigration advisory services
request call back
ICS Legal is a OISC Regulated organisation F201300789, we are not affiliated with any government organisation, including the UKBA.Use our Contact Form for a free assessment.Please speak to us for more information on 0207 237 3388.
Full Name:
Telephone No:
Call back time:
Call back date:
ICS Legal - UK immigration advisory services
Immigration Lawyers | Immigration & Visa Specialists | Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm |
020 7237 3388
Advanced Search
Index >> Births, deaths, marriages and care >> Get a deed poll >&g back button

Most visited:

Get a deed poll

A deed poll is a legal document that proves a change of name. You can change any part of your name, add or remove names and hyphens, or change spelling.

There are 2 ways to get a deed poll. Which way you apply depends on what documents you want your new name to appear on.

You can use either way to change the name on your driving licence or passport.

Enrol your deed poll

Some organisations will only accept an ‘enrolled’ deed poll as proof of your new name. Ask the organisation you’re dealing with (for example your bank) if they need an enrolled deed poll.

You apply to enrol your deed poll at the Royal Courts of Justice. The court can’t enrol a deed poll you’ve made yourself.

Marriage and civil partnership

You don’t need a deed poll to take your spouse’s or civil partner’s surname. Send a copy of your marriage or civil partnership certificate to record-holders, such as benefits offices. Your documents will be updated for free.

If you divorce or end your civil partnership

You may be able to go back to your original name by showing record-holders either your:

  • marriage certificate and decree absolute

  • civil partnership certificate and final order

Some organisations won’t change your name back without a deed poll.

UK Visas & Immigration Services | ICS Legal



Developed and Managed by Tech ICS © 2006 - 2019 Copyrights ICS LEGAL IMMIGRATION SPECIALISTS LTD | All rights reserved | UK immigration advice | Marriage Visa | British Citizenship | Tier 1 HSMP |