Legal enquiry
Full Name:
Telephone No:
Your enquiry:
ICS Legal - Immigration advisory services
request call back
ICS Legal is a OISC Regulated organisation F201300789, we are not affiliated with any government organisation, including the UKBA.Use our Contact Form for a free assessment.Please speak to us for more information on 0207 237 3388.
Full Name:
Telephone No:
Call back time:
Call back date:
ICS Legal - UK immigration advisory services
Immigration Lawyers | Immigration & Visa Specialists | Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm |
020 7237 3388
Advanced Search
Index >> Births, deaths, marriages and care >> Certifying a document >&g back button

Most visited:

Certifying a document

Certify a document as a true copy of the original by getting it signed and dated by a professional person, like a solicitor.

When you apply for something like a bank account or mortgage, you may be asked to provide documents that are certified as true copies of the original.

Copies of documents that can be certified include:

  • passports

  • photocard driving licences

  • letters from a government department

  • bank/building society or credit card statements

  • gas, electricity or council tax bills

  • letters from a hospital/doctor

Who can certify a document

To certify documents, ask a professional person or someone well-respected in your community (‘of good standing’) like a:

  • bank or building society official

  • councillor

  • minister of religion

  • dentist

  • chartered accountant

  • solicitor or notary

  • teacher or lecturer

The person you ask shouldn’t be:

  • related to you

  • living at the same address

  • in a relationship with you

How to certify a document

Take the photocopied document and the original and ask the person to certify the copy by:

  • writing ‘Certified to be a true copy of the original seen by me’ on the document

  • signing and dating it

  • printing their name under the signature

  • adding their occupation, address and telephone number

UK Visas & Immigration Services | ICS Legal



Developed and Managed by Tech ICS © 2006 - 2019 Copyrights ICS LEGAL IMMIGRATION SPECIALISTS LTD | All rights reserved | UK immigration advice | Marriage Visa | British Citizenship | Tier 1 HSMP |