Legal enquiry
Full Name:
Telephone No:
Your enquiry:
ICS Legal - Immigration advisory services
request call back
ICS Legal is a OISC Regulated organisation F201300789, we are not affiliated with any government organisation, including the UKBA.Use our Contact Form for a free assessment.Please speak to us for more information on 0207 237 3388.
Full Name:
Telephone No:
Call back time:
Call back date:
ICS Legal - UK immigration advisory services
Immigration Lawyers | Immigration & Visa Specialists | Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm |
London Office ICS Legal, Suite 11, City Business Centre
Lower Road, London SE16 2XB.
ICS Legal, 7 Bell Yard London WC2A 2JR
Sylhet Office Tech ICS West World, 6th floor Office 712-713
Jallarpar Road, Zindabazar Sylhet.Tel: 01762 062 834.
020 7237 3388
Advanced Search
Index >> Visiting the UK >> Visit Visa Extension >&g back button

Most visited:

UK Visit Visa Extension | Standard Visitors

UK Visit Visa also known as Standard Visitor's can be extended in the UK. Many individuals enter the United Kingdom based upon a 6 months visit visa, and prior to expiry, you would like to stay in the United Kingdom. There can be grounds for you to remain, or apply for an extension, however, this will depend upon certain circumstances. 

Speak to ICS Legal Visit Visa team who can advise and support on your UK Visit Visa extension application. You can call us on 0207 237 3388 or you can complete our visa assessment form, clicking here to complete this

The requirements to meet for the extension of a UK Visit Visa can be found here, click to read more on the requirements of the UK Visit Visa. 

General requirements to extend your UK Visit Visa

You may be able to extend your visa as long as the total time you spend in the UK is less than 6 months - eg if you apply for a 3-month visa, you can apply to extend it for 3 more months. You should apply before your current visa expires.

If you’re receiving private medical treatment in the UK
You can apply to extend your visa for a further 6 months if you:

  • have paid for any treatment you’ve already had in the UK;

  • can and will pay the further costs of your treatment;

  • continue to meet the eligibility requirements.

You must also get a medical practitioner or NHS consultant who’s registered in the UK to provide:

  • proof of arrangements for your private medical consultation or treatment; 

  • a letter saying how long your treatment is likely to take;

  • details of the progress of your treatment, if it’s already started.

You must apply while you’re still in the UK.

How to extend your visa
You can:

  • download the form and guidance and apply by post - the address is on the form;

  • download the form and apply in person at a premium service centre.

You must pay:

  1. £649 if you apply to extend your visa by post;

  2. £1,049 if you apply in person.

How long it takes
A decision will be made:

  • within 8 weeks for postal applications;

  • usually on the same day if you use the premium service.

You’ll be contacted if your application is complex and will take longer, eg:

  • if your supporting documents need to be verified;

  • if you need to attend an interview because of your personal circumstances (for example if you have a criminal conviction).

Once you’ve applied you can stay in the UK until you’ve been given a decision, as long as you applied before your last visa expired.

Frequently asked questions on the UK Visit Visa

Can I extend my visit visa?

As a general rule, you will not be able to extend your UK visit visa in-country unless you were granted a visit visa of fewer than six months.  In which case you can extend your visit visa in the UK to reach the maximum six months.  Under a UK visitor visa you will be able to stay in the UK for a maximum period of 6 months, although you may get a visit visa that lasts for 1, 2, 5 or 10 years if you need to make repeat visits to the UK.

Even with one of the longer visas, each individual visit to the UK must not last longer than the maximum 6 month period. Under the UK visit visa you will need to leave after 6 months and then re-apply in your country of origin if you need extra time for your visit, but it is not possible to extend your visit visa whilst still in the UK. If you are looking to remain in the UK for longer than 6 months, we would suggest that you speak to an immigration expert to discuss other visa options that may be more suitable for your trip.

I am here as a visitor, can I apply to stay here with my spouse/partner?

If your spouse is an EU national or a native of Switzerland, then you can apply to stay in the UK with your spouse/partner, although there are requirements that will need to be met in order for you to do so. If your partner or spouse is from outside the EU or (Switzerland) then you will need to consult an immigration lawyer to properly discuss your options. For further information on the requirements needed to apply, or if your spouse/partner is living in the UK on a visa from outside of the EU then speak to one of our immigration experts who will be able to advise you on the best option to suit your situation.

UK Visas & Immigration Services | ICS Legal



Developed and Managed by Tech ICS © 2006 - 2020 Copyrights ICS LEGAL IMMIGRATION SPECIALISTS LTD | All rights reserved | UK immigration advice | Marriage Visa | British Citizenship | Tier 1 HSMP |