Legal enquiry
Full Name:
Telephone No:
Your enquiry:
ICS Legal - Immigration advisory services
request call back
ICS Legal is a OISC Regulated organisation F201300789, we are not affiliated with any government organisation, including the UKBA.Use our Contact Form for a free assessment.Please speak to us for more information on 0207 237 3388.
Full Name:
Telephone No:
Call back time:
Call back date:
ICS Legal - UK immigration advisory services
Immigration Lawyers | Immigration & Visa Specialists | Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm |
Advanced Search
call back icslegal020 7237 3388
Index >> Partners and Families >> partners and children >&g back button

Most visited:

partners and children

For partners:

  • be a partner of a serving British citizen including one who has naturalised after five years’ reckon-able service in HM Forces

  • be a partner of a serving foreign or Commonwealth national serving in HM Forces(including Gurkhas) 

  • be a partner of someone discharged from HM Forces, within the two years before the date of application, who is a British citizen or who has left or is being granted leave at the same time under paragraphs:

    • 276E-QA of the Immigration Rules, or

    • 13-19 of Appendix Armed Forces

  • be aged18or over

  • I tend to live together with their sponsor  permanently

  •  is not within the prohibited degree of relationship with the sponsor as defined in paragraph 6 of the Immigration Rulein a genuine and subsisting relationship with the sponsor.  

The new changes to the spouse visa/marriage visa including other settlement based application including the changes on to maintenance funds. The spouse visa has certain new changes that the applicant must meet and the person who either holds settlement in the UK or temporary status, have to meet certain requirements.

To get expert legal advice, contact our team on 0207 237 3388 or e-mail us your query on To get a free case assessment and whether you meet the published requirements, complete our contact form by clicking here.

However, for citizens from outside the EEA and Switzerland, the UK Government operates a visa application system conferring entitlement to live, work or study in the UK providing the application is successful.

One type of visa is for partners of British citizens or a person holding indefinite leave to remain. This visa is used when a British passport holder or a holder of settled status wishes to bring a partner into the UK to live with them.


Want to find more about partners and children?
Talk to our experts and get the right advice first time, every time.


For children:

  • be under the age of 18 at the date of an application family

  • faged18or over at the date of application was last granted leave as a dependent of a member of HM Forces 

  • be a child of a British citizen in HMF or including one who was naturalised after five years reckon-able service 

  • be a child of a foreign or Commonwealth citizen serving in HM Forces

  • be a child of a discharged member of HM Forces, discharged within the two years immediately before 
    the application, who have either been granted or is being granted at the same time as the applicant under 

    • 276E-QA of the Immigration Rules, or

    • 13-19 of Appendix Armed Forces

The child must not:

  • be  married or in a civil partnership

  • have formed an independent family unit, and/or

  • be leading an independent life

They must also meet one of the following:

  • their other parent must:

    •  have been granted or be being granted at the same time as the applicant,  leave as the partner of a member of HMForces under Paragraphs 23,27,28, 32  of Appendix Armed Forces or paragraph 276E-276AI of the Immigration Rules  

    • have died

  • the sponsor parent in HM Forces must have sole responsibility for the child’s upbringing, or 

  • there are serious and compelling family or other considerations which make the applicant’s exclusion from the UK undesirable and suitable arrangements have been made for their care. 


Family of settled person visa

This is a visa designed for people who are from outside the EEA or Switzerland who wish to join a settled British citizen, successful asylum seeker or someone who has been granted humanitarian protection. The purpose of the visa is to allow you to join your partner, but it can also be used to join a parent, to come to look after a child or to come to be looked after by family. You may be married to your partner, or be in a civil partnership with them, or be engaged or be an unmarried partner.


Want to find more about partners and children?
Talk to our experts and get the right advice first time, every time.



You can apply for a family of a settled person visa if the person you are joining is a British citizen, of if they have the right to settle in the UK, such as if they are a successful asylum seeker.

In addition to this, you must be aged over 18 unless you are applying as a child. Your relationship to the settled person must be genuine and should be recognised in your country of origin. There must be an intention to live with your partner in the UK if your application is successful.

You will be required to prove that you and your family are able to be supported and accommodated by your own financial provisions, and on this point, you must meet any financial requirements. Finally, you must have a good knowledge of English, unless you are an adult dependent relative.

Proving your genuine relationship

You must prove that your relationship with the settled person is genuine. This is proved if you are married or civil partners, but there is often also a requirement to have lived together in a relationship for a minimum of two years. If you are engaged, you must be able to prove that you plan to marry or become civil partners within six months of your arrival, and you will not be allowed to work during that time.

Duration of visa

If your application for the marriage visa as a husband, wife, civil partner or unmarried/same-sex partner is successful, the Home Office will grant you permission to enter and live here for 33 months if you are applying from outside the UK or 30 months from the UK. Shortly before the end of these 33 months or 30 months, you will have to extend your leave again on the spouse visa and after 5 years, can apply for settlement. You can read more information on how you can apply for indefinite leave to remain as a partner, by clicking here. 

Categories that you can apply under:

  1. If you wish to apply as the unmarried partner also known as the UK defacto visa, click here to read more information on this category. 

  2. Where you wish to settle under the UK partner visa, then click here to read more information on how you can qualify under this category. 

Call ICS Legal today on 0207 237 3388 to get some initial legal advice. 

UK Visas & Immigration Services | ICS Legal



© 2006 - 2018 Copyrights ICS LEGAL IMMIGRATION SPECIALISTS LTD | All rights reserved | UK immigration advice | Marriage Visa | British Citizenship | Tier 1 HSMP |